UK Professional Immigration Assistance Epicentre
+44 (0) 7791145923
Skype WhatsApp Viber IMO
+44 (0) 330 001 0342
Welcome to

A Frontier Worker permit lets you come to the UK to work while living elsewhere.


You may be eligible if all of the following apply:
  • you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • you live outside of the UK
  • you have worked in the UK by 31 December 2020
  • you have kept working in the UK at least once every 12 months since you started working here
Important points to consider
  • this route does not lead to Settlement (ILR) in the UK
  • you need to spend less than 180 days a year in the UK
  • you can be a worker or a self-employed

If approved, the frontier worker permit will be valid for five years for workers and the self-employed but only two years (or six months in certain circumstances) for those workers who have ‘retained’ frontier worker status under the Regulation 4. If an applicant applies via the app the permit will be digital but physical permits are available.

If you’re an Irish citizen, you do not need to apply for a Frontier Worker permit, but you can choose to do so.

You cannot apply if you’re a British citizen (this includes dual citizenship).

If you have not worked in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you want to work in the UK from 1 January 2021, and were not working here before, you’ll need to apply for a visa.

The visa you’ll need depends on the type of work and how long you want to come for.

You do not need a visa if you’re a British or Irish citizen.

What the permit allows you to do

You can use your permit to enter the UK as a frontier worker and show your right to:

   - work
   - rent
   -  access benefits and services, including NHS healthcare, if you meet the relevant eligibility requirements


There’s no fee to apply for the permit, and you do not have to pay the immigration health surcharge. You may have to pay to submit your biometric information (photograph or fingerprints).

When and how to apply

If you’re a frontier worker, you’ll need a permit to enter the UK to work from 1 July 2021. You can use your passport or national identity card until then.

You must apply online.

You’ll be told if you’ll also need to go to an appointment at a visa application centre or UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point.

You will not usually need an appointment if you can use a smartphone app and have a passport or ID card with a biometric chip.

If you need an appointment

Allow extra time to arrange your appointment and travel to the centre - there may not be one near you. You may need to pay for your appointment.

The centre may need to keep your passport and documents while they process your application.

Family members

Family members are not covered by your Frontier Worker permit.

Your family member may be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled or pre-settled status.

The above options are not exhaustive as we treat every client's case individually. Please do not hesitate to book a phone, Skype or office consultation with us for a professional immigration advice and possible further representation before the UK Border Agency or the First Tier or Upper Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) (FTT/UTT IAC).

We are here to help: , 077 911 45 923 (Mob/Viber/WhatsApp), 0330 001 0342 and, of course, the helpful instant and same day Legal Centre Skype, Phone, Viber and WhatsApp Consultations