UK Professional Immigration Assistance Epicentre
+44 (0) 7791145923
Skype WhatsApp Viber IMO
+44 (0) 330 001 0342
Welcome to


Commonwealth nationals who have a grandparent who was born in the UK may enter the UK for a period of four years. The main criteria are that you are able to support yourself without access to public funds and are willing and able to work., it is advantageous but not necessary to have a firm offer of employment in the UK.


You can apply to come to the UK in this category if you can show that:
  • you are a Commonwealth citizen;
  • you are aged 17 or over;
  • you have a grandparent who was born in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), or a grandparent who was born before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland;
  • you are able to work and you plan to work in the UK; and
  • you can adequately support and accommodate yourself and your dependents without help from public funds.
If you do not meet these requirements, you will need to apply under one of our other routes in order to come and work in the UK.

Applying from outside the UK

You must obtain permission to enter the UK (known as 'entry clearance') on the basis of your UK ancestry before you travel here. This entry clearance will take the form of a visa or entry clearance certificate - to obtain it, you should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where you live.

If you are given permission to enter and work in the UK because of your UK ancestry, you will be allowed to stay for five years.

Applying from inside the UK

If you have already entered the UK in a different immigration category, you cannot switch into the UK ancestry category. You may be ably given permission to stay in the country on the basis of UK ancestry if:
  • you entered the UK holding entry clearance based on your UK ancestry; or
  • you have already been given permission to stay based on your UK ancestry.
Settling or extending your stay in the UK

If you have lived and worked continuously in the UK for five years in this category, and if you still meet the UK ancestry requirements, you can apply to live here permanently. The Settlement section explains how to apply.

The above options are not exhaustive as we treat every client's case individually. Please do not hesitate to book a phone, Skype or office consultation with us for a professional immigration advice and possible further representation before the UK Border Agency or the First Tier or Upper Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) (FTT/UTT IAC).

We are here to help: , 077 911 45 923 (Mob/Viber/WhatsApp), 0330 001 0342 and, of course, the helpful instant and same day Legal Centre Skype, Phone, Viber and WhatsApp Consultations